Southwest District School

The Southwest District School is located at 430 Simsbury Road.  It was constructed in 1858 of local trap rock to replace an earlier wooden structure that burned.   It was used as a school until 1923 and the District also maintained a library here.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.  Because of its close location to a busy state highway, it is not  regularly open to visitors.  However, it can be viewed by special request.

South & West Walls

North & West Walls

 

For photographs of the interior rehabilitation in progress…
go to the SWDS Rehabilitation Page