This history is taken from the Map of Bloomfield commemorating the tercentenary of the State, founded in 1635, bicentenary of the Wintonbury Parish, established 1735, and the centenary of the Town of Bloomfield, incorporated 1835. Soon after the settlement of Windsor, an expedition sent to explore the wilderness, reported good ground sufficient for three families. The first Indian purchase of land in this section was in 1660. The surrounding Indians making this their hunting ground were the Massaco, Tunxis and Poquonock tribes, divisions of the powerful Algonquin tribe, and were for the most part friendly. In 1661 Edward Messenger was deeded land here and built the first house. Later this section became known as Messenger Farms. In 1675 several families moved in and three of them built houses on three high hills. By 1734 the inhabitants had so far increased in number that winter privileges were desirable, the six mile trip to attend church in Windsor being too difficult. Their petition speaks of the hardship of travel through deep snow, unbroken forest, and danger from prowling Indians. Their petition was granted. Two years later 51 persons, 31 from Windsor, 8 from Farmington and 12 from Simsbury, asked the Legislature for parish privileges, or the right to hire a preacher and build a meeting house. This was permitted, and the Parish of Wintonbury was established, taking its name from a portion of each of the three towns. The parish then contained 65 families and 365 persons and was in area almost exactly four miles square , 7/10 being taken from Windsor, 1/10 from Farmington and 2/10 from Simsbury. In 1780 the parish was enlarged by the annexation to Windsor of an additional portion adjoining the original Farmington section. In 1835 107 persons in Wintonbury Parish, together with others from the Poquonock Society District of Windsor, petitioned the legislature sitting in Hartford to be incorporated as a separate town. At the same time 35 persons signed a petition in opposition. The original petition being granted, the legislature set the date for the first town meeting to be held in the Congregational Church on the first Monday in October, 1835, David Grant being delegated to be moderator. Still the town of Bloomfield was not fully grown, for in 1843 another section of Simsbury approximately 5 miles long and one mile wide, known as Scotland Parish, was annexed. Bloomfield’s future as a residential suburb and member of the Metropolitan District of Hartford was assured.